Well, what an epic weekend that was! UTA 50km and 100km done for 2018....so much fun was had with our STC trail junkies. Thank you Blue Mountains for your stunning trails, you have our ultimate respect 🏔🌲. There were smiles, tears, a lot of four-letter words, hugs, high-fives, peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches, and plenty of supporters cheering our boys and girls on. There were so many of you giving it your all, you know who you are. We are all so proud of what you have achieved this weekend. You may now have a rest....for a bit 😬. Looking forward to the next ultra 🙌
You can’t prepare for, and do, a race like the Ultratrail 50 and not have it change you. Here’s eight things I learned from my UTA 50 journey this year.
1. Belief is everything. Whether you think it is possible or not, you are correct. Dream big, pursue it with everything you have and magic will happen!
2. Surround yourself with people who feed your dreams. Envelop yourself with those who support you, build you up and help you believe in your dreams!
3. Stay strong when things don’t go right. In preparation and on race day things will not always go to plan. Don’t give up! Resilience and perseverance will see you through. A wonderful life lesson too!
4. Be inflexible with your goals, but flexible in your approach to reaching them. There are many paths to success. Learn from those paths others have trod, but find your own way. And if it’s not working, change it up.
5. The UTA goose is slow to cook, but quick to burn. This race lasts 6-12 hours and being strong in the back half is a huge success factor. Save your energy! I passed 40% of those who were in front of me at the 17k water stop. Patience grasshopper!
6. Run happy! It is now proven that smiling and being happy lowers your perceived level of exertion. Life feels great when you’re enjoying yourself and having fun. When you stay in the moment and truly love what you are doing you never want it to end, even when others are retreating into the pain cave. Pure joy!
7. Enjoy every step, all 8000 of them! I was prepared for the Giant Stairway and the Furber Steps, but I had no idea about the 6000+ steps in between! OMG, these were rough, uneven, steep and slippery. No matter how much you think you are prepared for them - you are not!
8. Nothing prepares you for the emotion of the finish. Rounding the bend as you come off Furber, hearing the roar of the crowd and the commentator call your name is simply amazing. You have finished!! Soak it up cause this is what it’s all about. And if you’re lucky, go back and share it with your friends when they finish too. Truly special!! 💕
Ultra Trail Australia 50km DONE!
6hrs24mins (course PB by 30mins)
44th from 827 females
29th from 288 age category
To my amazing wife Kim-Maree @movingom, THANK YOU! For your unconditional support in my training, our team, and being instrumental in Pioneers success this weekend.
To my crew, you were incredible, and inspired me in my own race. Thank you for your hard work, your support to your team mates, and how incredibly well you represent Pioneer Training. CONGRATULATIONS squad! We OWNED this weekend!!!! Every single Pioneer crossed the finish line!! #ultratrailaustralia#uta22#uta50#uta100#pioneertraining
10/10 for my first Ultra event. Ultra Trail Australia 50km in the Blue Mountains NSW, Australia. An epic epic run through some of the most stunning scenery you will see. Running with your mates, massive support on the course and smashing my expectations make it a 10/10. #rateyourrun#marathontalk#uta50#ultratrailaustralia
You’re still a winner in our books @karanth87
Thanx to everyone that supported me yesterday! ❤️ I had such a blast last night, challenging my body, mind and having fun sharing such a beautiful course with friends and other runners ❤️ I met so many amazing people during this event, that even when I couldn’t finish it, getting to the 90km mark (after getting lost because got wrong instructions and followed another runner, costing me 1,5 hours 😂) was a massive accomplishment and a win after all! I learnt a lot about myself, what my body can endure and the weaknesses that I need to work on for the next time ❤️ I’ll get to that finish line the next year for sure! But already feel a winner getting out of my comfort zone and to give it a try with all my heart. DNFs are not for shaming, but learning! And even if you are a pro athlete or an average person as me, I think you should always take it as an accomplishment and work from there to get better. I’ll keep giving a shot to long events for sure! Too many crazy friends around me to get motivated for the next one 😂 @getitdone_club
A HUGE shout out to the incredible #shiftwellbeing women who kicked some MASSIVE goals this weekend! 🏃♀️👊 Firstly we had our fearless leader, @hanporteous , complete her SECOND #UTA50 at the @ultratrailaustralia . After months of training she crossed the line with a skip in her step - a truly an incredible feat to watch. Also in the race was @laurenware - a true powerhouse of a woman! Then @julietaloya & @sammypatto smashed out the #UTA22@thewanderingbrookie completed The Great Wall Marathon 🏔. Smashing that bucket list item after training like a #boss - a huge congratulations to this gal.
Finally we had a few legends in the @smhhalfmarathon ; @splash_of_sez & Silvana - you guys nailed it!
It is ridiculously inspiring to see these women smash their goals & we can't wait to see what comes next! But now, it's time to pop the bubbles 🥂, put your feet up 💆🏻♀️ & celebrate 🙌✨. Congratulations ladies! 👊💪
OK, now I get why so many #writers live in the Blue Mountains. Your beauty won me over! Spent the weekend there for hubby's #uta50 - such an amazing #trailrunning event
My fourth time at UTA50 and the hills are not getting smaller. Just in my memory they do. It was hard work today but it was made easier by having my family there for high fives along the way and one child was keen to run across the finish line. Stoked to have run a 27min pb too!!
13 572 days ago
Look at this AMAZING woman! This afternoon Carolyn completed UTA50, just a light 50 km through the bush in the Blue Mountains, and looks like she went for a stroll! Omg! I cannot tell you how fantastic it is to be besties with this bird, she inspires me every day. Well done Tate, you’re a frikken champion, love your guts!!! #uta50#uta2018
First ultra marathon complete! Wow what a place to run 50k 😱 spectacular views but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’m in a world of hurt right now as I’m feeling every bit of that 2500m + elevation 😫😱 Job done in 8hr 31 minutes and Overall pretty stoked with that! 😊
UTA50 what a race, I feel like I trained well for my first 50km run but you can never under estimate this incredible course. Finish time of 7hrs 34min. Couldn't or wouldn't have even considered to take this on without my amazing #RMA friends. You are all awesome #uta50#runningmumsaustralia